Thursday, June 18, 2009

Review - WALL-E (2008)

I had the great pleasure of buying the ‘WALL-E”  2 disc special edition and I am loving it. This movie is probably my favorite Disney/Pixar movie. This movie, like most DP movies had a lot of heart, soul and very touching story that gives us a sense of happiness. This is what I love about DP movies is the story and how it seems like such an average story but when you watch the movies… there is more to it then what we are lead to believe. Look at it: a story about retired superheroes, a story about toys, monsters that work in a scream factory, a rat that cooks, cars falling in love on Route 66… they all seem simple and silly but they all have heart!

There are several things about “WALL-E” that I love, first off is the sound… like most DP movies the sound is amazing and well crafted. I think that it is a shame that this movie did not win anything for sound mixing or design. On that topic, what I really like about this movie was ‘Down to Earth’ by Peter Gabriel. He got robbed at the Oscars and the award went to “Slumdog Millionaire,” which did not deserve it… I don’t care what ‘Jai Ho’ means Gabriel should have won. I love Randy Newman and Pixar but Gabriel proved to us that he can be just as clever and brilliant.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The idea about 2 robots falling in love was so touching and it made me feel warm and fuzzy. There are several scenes where you feel for WALL-E and that you know that he loves EVE and when he comes so close to holding her hand… it breaks your heart. When EVE goes into her little shell and WALL-E protects her and makes sure she is save, that whole sequence is so sad. One of the most beautiful and touching scenes is when WALL-E and EVE are ‘dancing’ with the extinguisher and John and Mary finally realized there is a world beyond technology and fall in love as well. It brought a tear to my eye.

I can go on an on about this movie but all I can say is that… right now… it my favorite Pixar Animation films and one of the few movies that made me feel happy and teary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment